Claremont Insider: Chef Jeff: Where's the Beef?

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Chef Jeff: Where's the Beef?


Shortly after our post of City Manager Jeff Parker's review of Three Forks Chop House, we received this email from a reader, one of the most thoughtful observers in Claremont. Our correspondent re-states our point in three or four very clear sentences:

Thanks for calling the City Manager on the restaurant review. Having been to Three Forks myself (and not finding it one of my highest dining experiences in Claremont or elsewhere) I wanted to know what the review said. I discovered, as you point out, that 14/20 (70% in my book) is one hat. Harumph! I said to myself. What is he talking about? And why is he telling us about it anyway? Every newsletter tells me in excited terms about the newest chain retail that is opening. I would prefer an explanation of the $1,000,000 discussion (held in closed session apparently) or perhaps what the security consultant is costing us or even when the city archives will be back.

[emphasis and double emphasis added]

This is the problem. There is nothing much substantive in the City Manager's Update or, for that matter, in much of the so-called city news. We in Claremont deserve better. Most in town have the intellect and maturity to handle real information, but instead we are treated like first-graders, talked down to in a way that would embarrass even an elementary-school teacher, or made to read stuff that is frankly pimping for trade for Village West or the latest redevelopment or planning fad.

A tip of the Insider toque to our commentor.