Claremont Insider: CHS Hurdler Repeats

Sunday, June 7, 2009

CHS Hurdler Repeats

Congratulations to Claremont High School junior Kori Carter, who repeated as state champion in the 300-meter hurdles yesterday at Clovis Buchanan High. Carter doubled up this year by winning 100-meter hurdles as well. Pete Marshall covered the action for the Daily Bulletin:

On her biggest stage Saturday at the CIF State Track and Field Championships at Clovis Buchanan High, she was the best.

Carter won the 100-meter hurdles in 13.59 seconds, then took the 300 hurdles in 41.26 seconds to become only the fourth girls hurdler in state history to win both hurdle events in the same meet since they added the second race in 1993. Last year, Carter won the 300 but was fourth in the 100.

"I'm so happy I got the wins," Carter said. "I'm so excited, I'm trying to think of all the people I want to call."

In the 300 hurdle race, Carter has been consistently coming from behind in recent weeks and pulled it out Saturday to pass Long Beach Wilson's Nyjah Cousar.

"I guess when I'm behind, `The Beast' kicks in," Carter said.