Claremont Insider: Cinema Notes

Friday, July 27, 2007

Cinema Notes

"The past is never dead. It's not even past."

--William Faulkner


The mailbag yesterday contained this nice email recalling the bygone days of the Claremont Cinema:

Dear Claremont Insider---

Thanks for the link to the article about the Village Theater and Claremont Cinema. I remember both well. I wasn't allowed to go to the Claremont Cinema, where I desperately wanted to see "Blow Up", but my mother thought I was too young (I was fourteen at the time).

A year later I somehow conned her into taking me to a double bill of "Elvira Madigan" and "Women In Love" at the Village, telling her they were literary and would be good for my English grade.

Your blog helps me keep in touch with the place I consider my home town. I lived there from 1963 through 1975 and Claremont was a great
place to be at the time----more than one used bookstore, free plays, movies and classical concerts at the colleges, art galleries, Dennison Library at Scripps...wonderful stuff.

I also appreciated your less recent link to an article on Marty Weinberger; sorry to hear about his medical troubles. I worked at the Courier from 1977-79 in the graphics side of the building. It was better than going to art school. And they paid me too (not much but one could live on it at the time).

Regards,

D.L. MacLaughlan-Dumes